A customer of mine was having an extremely rare problem with Garmin MapSource. For some reason, he could install the legacy version 6.11.5 and the version he already had which was 6.12.2 but couldn't install any version later than that. The installer would open up and make a big fuss, prompt you for the location to MAIN.MSI (and show you the Application Data/Temp/WZ.../ folder where the MAIN.MSI was. He talked on the phone with them for about 4 hours and they couldn't figure it out after some reverse VNC sessions into his computer, so he called me in. I roamed around trying millions of combinations until I finally figured it out. It seems that somewhere along the line the installer got screwed up and the solution was to remove MapSource from the Windows Installer configuration, as soon as I did that using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and then BAM, the latest version installed perfectly.

The worst part of the whole ordeal was that between all of the time everyone spent on this problem, there's no new functionality added to the software. Some people just want things perfect and don't are about the price, as someone who benefits from their demanded perfection, I guess I'm okay with that.

Paul - 2008-03-11 21:28:00
Wonderful! You are a genius! I had this same problem and tried all sorts of tricks to solve it. You did it! Many thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>